20 replies to this topic

#1 TrpleD

TrpleD

Toyz Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:22 AM

i'm a bit of a novice (ok, maybe alot biggrin.gif ) with R/C cars, and I was wondering what you guys think is better: the Traxxas nitro sport or the nitro rustler.

#2 eavery

eavery

maxx master

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts
  • Interests:bashing building modding and all out fun race ocasionally

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

the nitro sport and rustler r the same trucks just a engine difference is all i know that separates them honestly both trucks r tuff i beat the crap out of my nitro rusty and rarly break it it's very fast and nible

#3 ShedFullOParts

ShedFullOParts

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:22 PM

yeah if youve never owned a nitro car, i would go with the sport and buy the engine replacement plan. get used to the .15 and then one your really comfortable with that speed move up to the .25. you wont regret it. i own 2 sports and just beat the crap out of them with no problems.

#4 rwdftw

rwdftw

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

im putting a os .18 tz in my nitro sport. it is all rpm everything.

#5 TRJ539

TRJ539

Toyz Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:My family and R/C and R/C...ok did I mention R/C.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

I just got Two rusty rollers and I'm excited about working them over. I have two 2.5 that I will transplant into them. It's going to be fun if I can get my three Jato's and both rusty all running at the same time.

#6 Muck

Muck

Gold Level Toyz Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Interests:My Kids #1
    1964 Cub Cadet model 70

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:53 AM

half the chassis on the sport is plastic. the rusty chassis is alum. The old Rustys also had the pro .15 but seemed to fair better to bashing with the alum chassis. But the sport is one tough cookie also.

#7 frfootballer

frfootballer

Toyz RC Guru

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:[color="#FF8C00"]Coding on my ps2, wii, Traxxas rustler, playing football and track for my HS, girls, ATV's[/color]

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

there are a few differences. One is the two piece chasis.. The sport has half-aluminum and half-plastic. The rustler Has one piece aluminum. The sport has single point steering, and the rustler has bellcrank steering.

chart from traxxas

EQUIPMENT NITRO SPORT NITRO RUSTLER
Engine TRX® Pro.15 TRX® 2.5 Racing Engine
Tires Pro-Trax 2.2" Alias 2.8"
Chassis T6 Aluminum/composite 6061-T6 Aluminum
Steering Single Point Bellcrank
Top Speed 38+mph 50+mph

#8 revomaniac

revomaniac

Toyz RC Freak

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:I like felling tree's with my chain saw, wood working, chilling with my friends and gal, but most of all I like spending the most time with my RC car!!!!!

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:30 AM

Personally, I would go with the nitro rustler, as because I feel that it's a good truck to start with, as well as the fact that you can customize it real well as well as get the need for speed out of your system! biggrin.gif Basically most people who start this hobby learn as you go by hands on learning, watching video's on youtube, or from going on to forums "like this one." All I can say is that once you start this hobby you'll probably get hooked, like some people do like me!! laugh.gif But this is my opinion, it's mainly what you think, because as long as you take care of the car it'll last you a long time!!! tongue.gif

#9 PinShip

PinShip

Toyz Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:05 AM

i really like the rusty

#10 Sonolin

Sonolin

Toyz Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

Either! I would probably prefer the rusty over the sport, but I'm sure the sport holds its own almost as good.

#11 Kong

Kong

Toyz Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

My first RC was the nitro sport with the .15 Pro. I like it. I recently hit a concrete post going a fair clip and snapped the front end off it. So seeing as how i had to get a new lower and upper frame and some other misc parts i converted it to a Rustler and added the 2.5R. NO REGRETS!!!!! The rustler had less bump steer because of the steering setup and with the 2.5R, hauls ass. It was the perfect way to go. I would recommend starting with the Sport until you get used to it but then convert it to a Ruslter by dropping in the 2.5R and changing the frame and steering. Be careful when you switch motors. Its a BIG change.

1.jpg

2.jpg

#12 dirtbeast937

dirtbeast937

~ The Toyz Expert On Nothingness ~

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts
  • Interests:Motocross, golf, and rc's. (bet you never saw that last one coming did you?)

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

just get the rustler. its the same truck with different engine. driving these things isnt that hard. so just get the bigger one. the rusty. or get a jato. again its practically the same thing but with a bigger engine. GET THE JATO.

#13 JatoBasher24

JatoBasher24

Toyz Senior Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE(dirtbeast937 @ Feb 18 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just get the rustler. its the same truck with different engine. driving these things isnt that hard. so just get the bigger one. the rusty. or get a jato. again its practically the same thing but with a bigger engine. GET THE JATO.

The Jato? come on don't flood the guys head with stuff like that.. there is a reason on the side of the box it gives you a breakdown by numbers on a skill rating.. Jato i believe is the only rated car that traxxas makes at a 5.. Not just for driving skills.. but working on them skills the jato is more complex then the Sport or the Rusty.. and it requires alittle more time to disassemble and reassemble.

My suggest would be the Rusty... The sport you will get tired of real fast.. and you'll want to upgrade anyways.. i vote RUSTY.. do NOT get a jato..

#14 dirtbeast937

dirtbeast937

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts
  • Interests:Motocross, golf, and rc's. (bet you never saw that last one coming did you?)

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:45 AM

the 4tec is a five as well. but what is more complex on a jato than a rusty?

#15 frfootballer

frfootballer

Toyz RC Guru

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:[color=&quot;#FF8C00&quot;]Coding on my ps2, wii, Traxxas rustler, playing football and track for my HS, girls, ATV's[/color]

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:53 AM

cool thing about the jato and is you can turn it upside-down, take the chasis screws out and take the chasis off without everything falling apart.

The rustler is actually kind of hard of handling, because it is a 2wd rear wheel drive car, and the weels don't have much weight on the front ones.

#16 Questions

Questions

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Electric Rc Guy , but QUESTIONING nitro

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

Im all for the Nitro Sport , ( Since its New , and Traxxas probably changed , or improved something) Yeah the Ruslter has stayed strong , but i belive with this new Sport , it will be better , and yes i know they are mostly the same damn thing. But im all for the Sport

#17 dirtbeast937

dirtbeast937

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(Questions @ Mar 2 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im all for the Nitro Sport , ( Since its New , and Traxxas probably changed , or improved something) Yeah the Ruslter has stayed strong , but i belive with this new Sport , it will be better , and yes i know they are mostly the same damn thing. But im all for the Sport

rusty was recently updated as well i believe. and the rusty has a bigger, faster engine.

#18 Questions

Questions

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Electric Rc Guy , but QUESTIONING nitro

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE(dirtbeast937 @ Mar 2 2009, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rusty was recently updated as well i believe. and the rusty has a bigger, faster engine.

Sorry
, did not know much about Rusty , but , i belive , traxxas will come up with something for the Sport to Choke Rusty out

#19 Revo{lution}

Revo{lution}

Toyz Rookie

• JR Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:52 AM

even tho hes prolly already got it it is a coversation...i think rusty cuz its not much weaker then the jato...yet not uncontrollable lol

#20 nitrorustler135

nitrorustler135

Toyz Senior Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:18 PM

y havent i see anybody mention the bellcrank...the rustler also has a bellcrank which is much better for steeringl..also the nitro rustler 2.5 was my first rc truck and just because its 50+ doesent mean its bad for beginers..the rustler also has some better features like the alu chassis....and by the time you get use to that pro 15 it will be harder to get use to the 2.5 engine (Carb setting) and speed...just go with a nitro rustler, + you dont have to but the 2.5 conversion

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq