23 replies to this topic

#1 Maus

Maus

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

Mods- If you wish to start a seperate catagory for the Savage XS, please move this there.

IT HAS ARRIVED!! Fresh off the USPS truck and into my hands. I actually wasnt expecting this until next Monday.

Posted Image
Box - Exterior

Posted Image
Inside Packing - Everything was fairly secure. I have not found any breakage

Posted Image
Truck itself

Posted Image
Comparison to the Merv from behind

Posted Image
Comparison to the Merv from side

Posted Image
Comparison to the Merv from Top

Also included but not pictured is the controller, a bag of parts/tools, a package of 4AA batteries, the manual, and a very large sheet of stickers.

I HAVE NOT ran it yet. I do not have any batteries with deans. Ill need to solder on a traxxas connector so I can use my normal lipos. I have not taken the lid off yet. I will do so in a few hours and take some detailed photos. If anyone has anything that they wannt to see let me know. I will be measureing the battery box so people know what aftermarket batteries to buy. The HPI battery is 100$, which I think is insane.

Ill be back with additional photos in a few hours.

**Edit. Ok I couldnt resist. I pulled the lid off and couldnt believe how robust and thick all the components are. I spied with my little eye metal drive shafts as well. I am envisioning all sorts of aftermarket and bling parts coming over the next 6 months. Should be exciting. I am hoping for additional bodies or at the very least the same body with additional color schemes.

#2 Double A

Double A

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Interests:Just trying to get by and enjoy some rc trucks

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

just got my traxxas connectors solder on mine going to run it now on 3s surprised though at how heavy this thing is

#3 Maus

Maus

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

I saw your thread. Looks like you beat me by an hour.  :rolleyes: Let me know how it runs.

Compared to the Merv it is indeed heavy, but that is my only other kit so I am a bit limited that way. What do you have for batttery box dimensions? I havent put my caliper on it yet. I can measure mine when I get back home. Between the two of us we should be able to cover anyones photo requests.

#4 Maus

Maus

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

Battery box is 5.95" long, 1.23 high, and 1.90" wide. I tried to get this as best as i could with my caliper.

Ill be checking Hobby King tonight for some 3S lipos.  :lol:

#5 Double A

Double A

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

well i got my smc 2s 6000mah lipo to fit in it

just ran it this thing is crazy on 3s spins the tires and 3s is almost to much thing is FAST!!!!!

Was fun till i got and my 3s lipo was all puffed up:(

#6 Keltikrewzer

Keltikrewzer

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Do you really have to ask?

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:47 PM

Very excited to see how you guys like these.  My buddy has been talking about getting a Merv as he wants something smaller and electric(he has a TMaxx 3.3) I think I've got him talked into one of these.  Then I can decide if I'm going to get one :D

#7 cmnyj28

cmnyj28

BashingBill

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,563 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Driving RC's, Building RC's, Building PC's, playing anything on my Xbox 360, MLB, NFL and much more. I Also Love MY IPA's

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:55 PM

I just got mine. yayyyyy. No time to open it or run it, bo, look forward to hearing what you guys use in it...

#8 Maus

Maus

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:00 PM

Going out to run mine now. Just finished soldering a traxxas male connector to the ESC.

*Edit-

Ok. I got a 23 minute run out of my 2S 2200mah 7.4v Lipo.
Posted Image

I did street, grass, a few small jumps, and I accidently rolled it. opps :P After my battery reached the lipo cutoff I measured the temps. 106F on the motor and 115F on the ESC. Ambient outside temp is currently 73F with clear sunny skies.

Handling is nice. Everything is set up straight and true from the factory. I did not have to adjust any trims. I did check per the manual that the ESC was in lipo mode. Full throttle from a standstill did not produce any wheelies. I think a 3S may give wheelies though. Traction of the stock tires is nice. I would equate them to Proline Dirt Hawgs as that is my only other set of all around tires. An intersting thing I found is that this truck drifts nicely on asphalt. Very fun to come down the street at 3/4 throttle and drift around a right or left hand turn and continue on.

#9 ohh EPiC FAiL

ohh EPiC FAiL

crawling like a boss

• Official Toyz Members
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:23 PM

i've read that you can use normal 1/10 2s packs in it. i'm by no means a mini guy, but i'm seriously considering saving up some money to get one of these :D

#10 cmnyj28

cmnyj28

BashingBill

• Admin
  • 8,563 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Driving RC's, Building RC's, Building PC's, playing anything on my Xbox 360, MLB, NFL and much more. I Also Love MY IPA's

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:30 PM

View Postohh EPiC FAiL, on 10 September 2011 - 11:23 PM, said:

i've read that you can use normal 1/10 2s packs in it. i'm by no means a mini guy, but i'm seriously considering saving up some money to get one of these :D

I can't wait to get mine running, if I wasn't headed to New jersey tonight I would do it now...

#11 Maus

Maus

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:00 AM

Umm yeah. After driving this I am thinking........Merv who??

Especially since a brushless Merv retials for 280ish depending on retailer, and this is 300ish depending on the retailer. Definetly worth it. Both have a 4000kv motor, but this comes with a Castle Creations Motor/ESC combo for the same price as the Velineon system.

I noticed while I was soldering it has metal CVDs, driveshafts and metal 12mm wheel hubs. The manual lists a 28T pinion, a 56T Idler gear and a 49T drive gear, all 48 pitch. There is a nice gearing chart in the manual as well. The pinion and the idler are the gears that will change to affect speed. The drive gear is attached to the slipper clutch.

Ill try to get some radar readings tomorrow. However, if you have been following my Merv build accurate readings have been difficult to get.

#12 devildog

devildog

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:43 AM

Man...I want one now...  :-P  I just don't like the body.

#13 UnfadingPYRO

UnfadingPYRO

Senior Toyz Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Interests:RC, Video Games, Truck Pulling, Drag Racing, Guns, Paintball.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:43 AM

i now command you to bash the heck outa this thing, so i know what to upgrade when i get mine.  :P

#14 basketballfan60123

basketballfan60123

Toyz RC Guru

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:RC,MMA,Boxing,Culinary Arts,spending time with family and friends

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

View PostUnfadingPYRO, on 11 September 2011 - 04:43 AM, said:

i now command you to bash the heck outa this thing, so i know what to upgrade when i get mine.  :P
+1
I wanna know what the ****** breaks ahead of tine before I get mine.

#15 Maus

Maus

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

First caution guys.

I tried to get the diff cover off last night to see if the "its easy" "only remove 4 screws" hype was true. It isnt. I was not able to remove the diff cover, as it seemed stuck even after removing the 4 screws as noted in the manual. There are 2 screws in the diff covr and 2 screws in the skip plate. They expect the user to bend the skid plate out of the way to slid the diff cover off. It is not that easy unless I am missing something obvious.

Anyway, I did not know it at the time, but the screws holding the diff cover on thread into metal nuts that just sit behind the non movable side of the diff bulkhead. Once the screws are removed the nut will come out, dispite there being a molded pocket for the nuts. I didnt find this out until I was doing a throttle test and one of the nuts fell out. Thankfully it fell out while I was in my man cave and not outside on the road. I finally figured out what the issue was after looking through the exploded view in the manual.

Long story short, extra care needed to be exercised when reassembling the diff cover screws.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 UnfadingPYRO

UnfadingPYRO

Senior Toyz Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

Any updates? surely you've broken something by now.  :lol:

#17 Double A

Double A

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

Beat the crap outta mine yesterday flips really easy and takes a beating

#18 Maus

Maus

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

Nothing to update except the fact that I have been putting 2 packs a day through it with zero issues. I think this is a solid piece of kit, but having owned only a Merv what do I know. I only have one other thing to compare it to.

#19 Iosis

Iosis

Savage Basher

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Whooo. How much do you really want to know about me, Gosh we just met.

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

Looks like fun. I would love to have one but I definitely do not need another kit right now. btw HPI just released there newest video for this thing. Revealing some info about all the things they have been doing with it.

Very cool so check it out.

#20 UnfadingPYRO

UnfadingPYRO

Senior Toyz Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:31 AM

That video is bada**. already sounds better then a merv and if in that video was only one xs and only broke one a-arm like they said, i cant wait to get one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )