Can You Identify These ... ?

11 replies to this topic

#1 86Cutlass383SR

86Cutlass383SR

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:I'm a gear-head through & through. If it has a engine (or electric motor apparently...) I'm probably interested in it...

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:05 AM

Okay, first of all, is a Kyosho Inferno MP6 or at least that's what the body says.  About how old are these and are there any parts support for them?  Also, from these pics, is it all stock or are there any upgrades on it?  Any info you can give will help ...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also came arcoss these buggies, or at least I was told it was a buggy.  Originally I was told it was an Ofna Pirate.  Upon doing research, and Ofna Pirate is a monster truck.  It says "PIRATE" on each diff housing.  Again, any info would be nice to know concerning the age, etc.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm trying to decide which way I want to go with these.  Nitro ... brushless conversion ... I'm just a basher and do no racing.  As of right now I have an OS .18TM, a .28 GO engine and a Castle 1717 1580kv/Mamba Monster combo.

Any ideas ... ?

Thanks

#2 86Cutlass383SR

86Cutlass383SR

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:I'm a gear-head through & through. If it has a engine (or electric motor apparently...) I'm probably interested in it...

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

You mean to tell me nobody has ever seen anything like these?

Any info at all ...  :blink:

#3 chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey

Think Once, Cut Twice

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts
  • Interests:RC, Mountain Bikes, Cars, Boats, Jet Skis, Xbox 360, Power Equipment

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

I can't help you on what they are but if it was me, I would put an engine in the first one and a conversion in the second.

#4 mrblock2013

mrblock2013

ahhhh poop.

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Interests:Rally, Drums, RC and 1:1s
    84 Camaro Z28. Eszter

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

View Postchunkymonkey, on 25 June 2011 - 02:14 PM, said:

I can't help you on what they are but if it was me, I would put an engine in the first one and a conversion in the second.

+1 i agreee with monkey =D

#5 SLAYERDUDE

SLAYERDUDE

Silver Level Toyz Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:23 AM

:unsure:

Looks similar to the potential money pit I got out of before I went too far.. (see the FAIL thread)
Get a D8 or D8T?

I'm done buying used unless I have extensive knowledge of that vehicle, and have lots of spares sitting around already.

You didn't hear that from me. ;)

#6 86Cutlass383SR

86Cutlass383SR

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Did Ratdaddy get one of those from you ...  :lol:

That's why I'm trying to identify exactly what they are so I know of parts availability & such.

#7 SLAYERDUDE

SLAYERDUDE

Silver Level Toyz Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

Lol, no I've never seen them but I have an Ofna Pirate "buggy" that Cussbot bought from Rat, still needs an engine.
And those top plates on the front end and ctr diff look alot like my Ofna MBX, not sure if Kyosho has the same setup..
IMO you might be better off tossing those on ebay and getting one new complete vehicle..
Those could easily nickel and dime you to death, trust me that's why I stopped dumping cash into my Ofna buggy and got the D8T before I had a non competitive money pit on my hands.

Here's the Kyosho and Ofna manuals if you wanna poke around and see if you can match anything up, that's how I ID'd my Ofna as an Ultra MBX R2 with some different radio tray.

http://www.kyosho.co...nual/index.html

http://www.ofna.com/manuals.html

#8 bugster

bugster

The Toyz new guy

• JR Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

Certainly looks like an MP6, I have an MP5, so even older ha, think mines 97/98 so yours must be a year or two newer?

#9 86Cutlass383SR

86Cutlass383SR

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:42 AM

View Postbugster, on 09 August 2011 - 09:25 PM, said:

Certainly looks like an MP6, I have an MP5, so even older ha, think mines 97/98 so yours must be a year or two newer?
Wow, I had no clue the Kyosho was that old.  Looks newer than that condition-wise.  Thanks for the info  :D

I decided to go brushless on the MP6.  Went with a 2650kv Castle and a Mamba Monster esc.  I used a Castle conversion kit for an Inferno 777 and the center diff mount bolted right up.  I have a 2200kv if I ever want to go 6s but I don't forsee that since the 2650 on 4s can be geared for some CRAZY speed as is.  I need to count the spur gear tooth count but I'm running an 18t pinion.  Still need to rig up some battery holders and we'll see what this thing can run.

The Ofna will probably also be converted to brushless and I'm not exactly sure what the final motor/esc combo will be on that one ...

#10 bugster

bugster

The Toyz new guy

• JR Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

No worries, you got any pics of the mp6 since going brushless?
How much did it set you back for the conversion?

#11 86Cutlass383SR

86Cutlass383SR

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:18 AM

View Postbugster, on 23 August 2011 - 08:27 AM, said:

No worries, you got any pics of the mp6 since going brushless?
How much did it set you back for the conversion?
No pics yet, but I should have the rest of the stuff I need to finish it off and I'll get some pics of it.

I need to get the final placement of my batts figured out, whether I want 1 on each side or both stacked together on one side vs how they balance out the whole buggy.

I used a Castle conversion kit for the Kyosho 777 for the mount and it bolted right up the best I remember.  Got it directly from Castle for $25 vs $75 from Towerhobbies.  I used a differant servo mount that combined both the servo mount and the receiver box but the Castle setup might work, I didn't try it.  For the ESC, I used the Castle piece (had to clearance a little with a Dremel) mounted on top of the center diff.

As far as cost go, I bought the roller for $100 and the Castle kit for $25.  The servo/receiver mount was a whopping $5 and the servo I already had.  Motor/ESC I went with the Castle 2200kv/Mamba Monster and the lipos I already had.  You could use a cheaper motor/ESC to keep costs more in line but I'm sure you realize that.

I just checked and Castle is sold out of the Kyosho 777 kits and they don't say if they plan to have any more.  Here's a pic of the kit:  http://www.castlecre...ack-kyosho.html

Tower shows they still have them in limited quantities but they are $76.99    
http://www3.towerhob...p?&I=LXVHF5&P=7

#12 bugster

bugster

The Toyz new guy

• JR Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:10 PM

I'd have thought a battery each side would be best. But maybe having them on one side you'll be able to get it to do a barrel roll midflight.  :lol:

Cheers for the info, my mp5 is just sitting on the shelf in the garage. I may see if I can slowly source bits and convert it over to electric during the winter.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BoHeGeHa Dark Blue 2.1.1 Thomas Yugar (Chemical Chaos)
Official upgrade for IPB 2.3.x © Michael ( Dev Fuse )
3.X © Upgrade by Dumbledore ( Tppskinning )