• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 86Cutlass383SR

86Cutlass383SR

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:I'm a gear-head through & through. If it has a engine (or electric motor apparently...) I'm probably interested in it...

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

I have the 7151x metal CVD's in my Merv and had no problem for the longest time. I eventually broke the cup in the rear. Replaced it with the Traxxas part, can't remember the number but it was for the Rally I believe. Went back together just fine.

While I had it down to replace the cup, I decided I wanted to convert it to a Summit so I got the blue springs and the long rockers. Got it all back together and less than a week later, the front CVD fell out of the cup. Nope, nothing was broke, just flat fell out ...

Knowing the Summit has differant part numbers for the axle driveshafts, I thought the CVD's were too short so I put the Revo rockers back on (running front rockers on front & rear).

Within 2 weeks, the rear CVD on the opposite side of the one that broke the cup has fallen out ...

Why are these falling out all of a sudden?

Are the Revo CVD's too short to run in the Summit? I'd really like to convert it to a Summit ...

Will the stock Revo axles (plastic sliding ones) work in the Summit? All 4 (4 inner & 4 outer) are $80 ($9.99 ea) so if the stock Revo axles will work I'll get those instead ... I'm only running 2s on a stock motor/esc.

What's going on with my CVD's all of a sudden ...

#2 UnfadingPYRO

UnfadingPYRO

Toyz Senior Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Interests:RC, Video Games, Truck Pulling, Drag Racing, Guns, Paintball.

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:36 AM

i have the same problem in my merv, i run front rockers in the rear and every once i a while the will pop out, i found that if you screw the knuckles on all the way it helps a bunch, but still can happen if you take a hard of enough tumble.

#3 Jimmie Neutron

Jimmie Neutron

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:07 AM

Stock MERV axles will work in a Summit quite successfully.

#4 86Cutlass383SR

86Cutlass383SR

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:I'm a gear-head through & through. If it has a engine (or electric motor apparently...) I'm probably interested in it...

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

I appreciate the info guys. I'll try tightening my knuckle hubs a bit, I suppose they could've worn a bit causing some slop. If I have one more fall out, then I'm going back to stock axles ...

#5 Jimmie Neutron

Jimmie Neutron

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

I have been really disappointed with the quality/durability (or lack there of) of the aftermarket axles... especially for the cost.

Once I get my MERV (This Tuesday! YAY!) I will be taking it with me next time I go to my Dad's... he is a machinist. I will ask if he has any ideas on how to make a strong, trouble free, durable replacement axle shaft....
I just hope he can keep costs reasonable. lol
Either way, I will have him make some for me, then ask him how much he will charge to make more and go from there. I know he won't make a bunch just to sit on a shelf, waiting to be sold; but I might convince him to make them to order.

#6 86Cutlass383SR

86Cutlass383SR

Toyz RC Freak

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

I have been really disappointed with the quality/durability (or lack there of) of the aftermarket axles... especially for the cost.

I don't know if you'd classify these CVD's I have as aftermarket or not. They're not stock but they are made by Traxxas.

I can give a bit of insight on the good and bad products I've used on mine. I'm neither bashing nor endorsing these companies. Just stating facts on the stuff I've used. Note: I'm just a basher & I run the stock motor/esc on a single 2s lipo. So, it's not like I put excessive power to parts. You can go through my build thread here if you wish:

http://forums.thetoy...showtopic=37620

Center Driveshafts (from trans to the diffs) - I've used both Integy and Golden Horizon. Pin broke on both. When the Integy broke (short front one), it put a gash in my chassis almost cutting the front end off. Put new pin in the Integy and then shrink wrapped the ends (so they wouldn't fall out ... ) Being nice, let's just say I went back to the stock driveshafts ...

Stock chassis - broken 2 so far. The second one was 2 weeks after I replaced the first one. The way it broke and what heppened when it did break, IMO was uncalled for ...

GPM knuckle hubs - Love em, never had a bit of trouble with them !!!

GPM pushrod/toe links - I intended to get the stasinless ones but ordered the aluminum ones by accident. Yeah, these bent pretty easily. Ordered the stainless ones, not a problem since.

All my other upgrades have performed as expected.

#7 jimbo74

jimbo74

Silver Level Toyz Member

• Official Toyz Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

the problem running hte traxxa 7151x on the summit is that the rear arms are further swpt back, and hte rockers are longer, allowing there to me more movement.....

it would be ideal if there was a slip shaft, but there isn't.... and the stock summit rear axles are worse than the stock plastic merv axles.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq