angels05ss

Newbie From Houston Tx

angels05ss    0

Hi my name is Angel...I've been out of the hobby for about 5yrs or so and recently got back in it.but I'm in need for lots of help with my mugen mbx7r I picked up for a good deal.I'm lost when it comes to brushless motor,esc and lipo batteries.hek I have no idea what wires to solder lol so please take it easy on me.thanks in advanced

1.how do i determine what lipo battery to buy

2.what is a good steering servo that won't break my wallet

3.is the airtronics mv-x a good radio to start off with?

4.what's a decent charger to buy

post-96745-0-47561900-1423713838_thumb.j

post-96745-0-21003400-1423713850_thumb.j

post-96745-0-20022900-1423713863_thumb.j

cmnyj28    17

1. You need to find your Motor and ESC Specs, see what it needs to get powered, Check your battery box size and stay within it if possible.

2. Steering servo hmmm, I Like the 7955TG from Hitec, I have many and have NEVER had an issue, it's a little over $100.00 but well worth it IMO.

3. Not familiar with them, I use Spectrum and FlySky.

4. Charger all depends on what you want, How many you want to charge at once, etc. A good starting point is the Thunder AC6

angels05ss    0

1. You need to find your Motor and ESC Specs, see what it needs to get powered, Check your battery box size and stay within it if possible.

2. Steering servo hmmm, I Like the 7955TG from Hitec, I have many and have NEVER had an issue, it's a little over $100.00 but well worth it IMO.

3. Not familiar with them, I use Spectrum and FlySky.

4. Charger all depends on what you want, How many you want to charge at once, etc. A good starting point is the Thunder AC6

max voltage (motor) :4s-14.8v

esc:2s-6s 7.4v-22.2v

thanks for the help

JayzRC    11

What motor and esc are you running? We need to know that to help determine what Mah you will want to keep everything happy and not overheating. Are you planning to race or bash? No worries about getting bashed here for questions. We are here to help, not heckle anyone.

angels05ss    0

What motor and esc are you running? We need to know that to help determine what Mah you will want to keep everything happy and not overheating. Are you planning to race or bash? No worries about getting bashed here for questions. We are here to help, not heckle anyone.

Viper VF-8 1900kv

Esc:RX8 GEN2

Thank you

JayzRC    11

Excellent!

I am not finding the draw spec for the Viper motor, but most 1/8 brushless can pull around the 100 amp mark plus a bit for servos and receiver operations. That motor requires a 4 cell, or 4S as it's called, battery pack. To know if your battery will supply everything well, use this formula.

mah x C rating then divide by 1000.

This will tell you the approximate amp draw the battery will be safe to operate with.

i.e. a 5000 mah 4S battery with a 40C rating.

5000 x 40 = 200,000 divided by 1000 = 200 amps

Your motor can draw approximately 100 amps plus around 10% for servos. This pack will sufficiently meet your requirements.

Check online for your battery tray dimensions, then find a lipo supplier and see what packs they have that will fit your tray. If it's a bit smaller, you can take up the gap with a piece of foam.

Batteries can vary GREATLY in price. Maxamps, for example are pricey, but have good warranty and specs. But there are good batteries that don't cost a fortune if you aren't a hard core racer, like Turnigy nano-techs, Zippy flightmax, Gens Ace, and SPC plus many others.

Also watch where the wires come out of the battery. Some come directly from the end or the side and can interfere with how it sits in your tray, or rub the body or moving parts. Others come out of the top. Take a look at your kit and see which placement of wires will work best for you. Then add that to your search criteria.

As for chargers, the one Bill (cmnyj28) listed is a great little balance charger, and will take approximately 1 hour to properly balance charge a lipo. You can find others with more power, but most consider a 1C charge rate to be safe. So a 5000 mah battery would be ok to charge at 5 amps, a 3000 mah battery at 3 amps, etc. The AC6 listed I believe is a 5 amp max charger. The AC680 is a 6 amp and has a cooling fan for a bit more. These chargers also come with a variety of ends to charge different styles of batteries and different plugs. They also can work in AC or DC which is a nice option that not all chargers have. They don't need a separate power supply. Make sure, what ever you go with, is a Lipo BALANCE charger.

What's your budget for a steering servo? There are many to choose from.

That airtronics radio looks pretty decent for the price! I don't have any personal experience with it however.

angels05ss    0

Excellent!

I am not finding the draw spec for the Viper motor, but most 1/8 brushless can pull around the 100 amp mark plus a bit for servos and receiver operations. That motor requires a 4 cell, or 4S as it's called, battery pack. To know if your battery will supply everything well, use this formula.

mah x C rating then divide by 1000.

This will tell you the approximate amp draw the battery will be safe to operate with.

i.e. a 5000 mah 4S battery with a 40C rating.

5000 x 40 = 200,000 divided by 1000 = 200 amps

Your motor can draw approximately 100 amps plus around 10% for servos. This pack will sufficiently meet your requirements.

Check online for your battery tray dimensions, then find a lipo supplier and see what packs they have that will fit your tray. If it's a bit smaller, you can take up the gap with a piece of foam.

Batteries can vary GREATLY in price. Maxamps, for example are pricey, but have good warranty and specs. But there are good batteries that don't cost a fortune if you aren't a hard core racer, like Turnigy nano-techs, Zippy flightmax, Gens Ace, and SPC plus many others.

Also watch where the wires come out of the battery. Some come directly from the end or the side and can interfere with how it sits in your tray, or rub the body or moving parts. Others come out of the top. Take a look at your kit and see which placement of wires will work best for you. Then add that to your search criteria.

As for chargers, the one Bill (cmnyj28) listed is a great little balance charger, and will take approximately 1 hour to properly balance charge a lipo. You can find others with more power, but most consider a 1C charge rate to be safe. So a 5000 mah battery would be ok to charge at 5 amps, a 3000 mah battery at 3 amps, etc. The AC6 listed I believe is a 5 amp max charger. The AC680 is a 6 amp and has a cooling fan for a bit more. These chargers also come with a variety of ends to charge different styles of batteries and different plugs. They also can work in AC or DC which is a nice option that not all chargers have. They don't need a separate power supply. Make sure, what ever you go with, is a Lipo BALANCE charger.

What's your budget for a steering servo? There are many to choose from.

That airtronics radio looks pretty decent for the price! I don't have any personal experience with it however.

I'm looking to spend about $100 on a servo,as far as the battery I got a 4s,50C,5000 mah.i appreciate all your help

JayzRC    11

Battery size is great. A nice steering servo in your price range is a Hitec HS-7954SH

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/premium-digital-servos/hs-7954sh-high-torque-hv-coreless-steel-gear-servo/product

cmnyj28    17

Battery size is great. A nice steering servo in your price range is a Hitec HS-7954SH

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/premium-digital-servos/hs-7954sh-high-torque-hv-coreless-steel-gear-servo/product

That's a Great servo as well.