DerekG

Hey From Oklahoma

Hey guys, I'll try and make this short a sweet, but that probably won't happen lol I've been watching squirrel's vids for about the last 3 years,but never joined the forum, recently it seems that the forums i'm on now are dead most of the time and noone seems excited about the hobby. This place seems pretty active and since squirrel is still heavily involved in the hobby I felt like this was a good place to come hang out.

A little "about me" first. My name is Derek, I'm 22, married for 2 years with no kids and two dogs. I will be finishing my undergrad bachelors degree in Pre-med/Biology in Dec. and if all goes as planned I'll start medical school in the fall of 2013. I live in south-central Oklahoma about 70 miles from OKC, and I work in the operating room at my local hospital.

My r/c history-

I always had toy grade r/c's growing up, mostly tyco, but also had some nikko and new bright. I've been involved in hobby grade r/c's for about the past 10 years. I got my first real r/c in 2003 when I was 13, it was a traxxas s-maxx 2.5. I'll never forget the excitement of opening it, starting it up for the first time, the smell and feel of the truck, I was hooked lol Around the same time I became an avid poster on the old slapmafro forums up until they shut down. Their videos, along with vids from the beaverstick guys, Trilordy, and a few other video sites were probably the main influence in getting me involved in r/c as a basher and ever since I've been addicted.

In 2004 I pre-ordered the Traxxas Jato 2.5 before it was released because I fell in love with the styling and design of it. That was another highlight of my r/c career, it was revolutionary for the stadium truck class which was still big at the time, it had revo shocks and slipper, mid-mount battery, 2-speed, and a cool handle to carry it around with lol About a year later I picked up a used revo 2.5r from an adult friend that bought it because he thought mine were cool, but never took to the hobby, so I scored an almost new revo for $250.

In 2006 I bought my first hobby grade electric truck, it was a stampede xl-5 when it was first released. It wasn't waterproof or brushless and still had the all plastic transmission gears. That truck eventually became one of my favorites and I still own it to this day, although the only stock part left on the truck is the chassis and front bulkhead. I'll try and give a diluted version of the next 2-4 years.....from 2006 to 2008 I acquired an Associated rc18B, traxxas rustler XL-5, savage 25, stampede xl-1, slash 2wd, HPI e-10 drift, and a Revo 3.3 in early 2008.

In 2009 I bought the Baja 5T pretty soon after it's release. 1/5 scale is a whole different ballgame and I love it! Did a few upgrades like tires, rear dom V2, outerwears, dark soul umbrella seals for the shocks, spek rx, aluminum enclosed carrier, but overall it's stock and a lot of fun.

2010-2011 added a micro crawler for indoor winter fun, got an amazing deal on a used RC10GT2 that a guy was selling for his brother on ebay. It included a slightly used GT2 with the ae.15, new OFNA starter box, new clear body, and an airtronics M8...bought everything for $125 shipped. Also during these two years I added a Savage X 4.6, losi night crawler converted to a comp crawler, original LST that was used for about an hour of runtime and bought for $199 from ebay.

2012- This year has been a little slow because of the fact I'm a senior, which means senior level biology and organic chem classes, but I did find some time to enjoy R/C. Added a Tamiya DF03Ra Lancia Delta Integrale kit, and most recently (2 weeks ago) a Savage Flux HP.

During this entire saga I've sold off some kits as I bought new or used ones, so I didn't own all of these at once, but my current garage consists of 9 cars.....

-Baja 5T

-Savage Flux HP

-Savage X 4.6

-Stampede, now BL

-RC10GT2

-LCC

-Micro Crawler

-Tamiya DF03Ra

-Revo 3.3

I've always been a basher from day one, but just within the past 2 months I've found an r/c track literally 3 miles from my house. They race mostly sc, which i've never really been a fan of, but seeing them race in person really made me realize the fun factor. I raced for the very first time using my stampede in the open 2wd class and won! lol I couldn't believe my 6 year old stampede that I've beat the daylights out of for so long won against 3 brushless and 2 brushed slashes lol. I did do some suspension tuning before the race, but that was about it. Needless to say I've caught the racing bug and that is going to be my next venture in r/c. I'm going to start off with 2wd because 1, I think it will make me a better driver in the end and 2, it will be more of a challenge that 4wd, although I will eventually get a 4x4 so I can race two classes. I've already bought the brushless system, servo, rx, and other finishing supplies. Right now just trying to decide on which kit to get, it's between the sc10 factory team and the losi 22sct. The losi is my preference and will probably be the truck I end up going with because of the design and a few other key features, but my frugal side wants to save a few bucks and go with the sc10. Either way I'm ready to try out racing for the first time, it looks like a blast!

Anyway guys, sorry about my entirely too extensive introduction, but hopefully it helps you get to know me a little better and I look forward to chatting r/c or anything else with all of you! I also have quite a few r/c vids on youtube that I won't bombard you with now, but will share in the near future. I'll also post pics of my stuff soon as well, but here is are a few grainy instagram pics of the small room that my wife lets me have for r/c and other hobbies lol Thanks for reading this nonsense! :-)

-Derek

113159CC-0D6D-40E3-A487-BE3264CB95D9-3159-000003C65DCEA7FC.jpg

48B7E842-BDFB-4A76-8A59-5F2C308DEBA8-3159-000003C6594B416A.jpg

AEA31184-F32F-4C57-A56B-441866E5018A-3159-000003C653DD97B1.jpg

Welcome Derek and great intro! Glad to have you here. Looking forward to your insight and obviously broad knowledge! See you on the boards :)

Oh sweet, them are some nice pics you have...

Nice collection! Nice to have another Okie here too. haha That track isnt the one in Rush Springs, is it? If it is, we'll have to meet up there. i was going to go this weekend, but the temperatures dropped from 90 to 30-50 as you probably know. haha

And thanks for the advice on the Stampede. :)

No prob man! Yes the weather it wacked out right now, a/c on my way to work this morning and froze walking to my car after work at 7 lol

The track is near my house in Ada, not sure where rush springs is located. *edit, just googled lol near Lawton.

Welcome Derek. Nice looking setup. I wish i could keep my bench that clean..lol

thanks! That was just after a full day of cleaning when I took those pics, it doesn't look like that right now lol

I have since sold the LST to help pay for the flux, I'll have to get some pics of it soon.

where is you closest LHS? I buy about 97% of my rc stuff online, but when I, "want it now" I hit up hobbytown in Norman which is just over an hour from my house.

where is you closest LHS? I buy about 97% of my rc stuff online, but when I, "want it now" I hit up hobbytown in Norman which is just over an hour from my house.

Well the closest is rush springs (39 miles) but he carries very little. Basically stock traxxas parts for electric models only. The next closest is one in duncan (about an hour drive) and i haven't been in years, but i hear he's even got a track where a bunch of 1/5 scalers can race. Then i'd say Norman. Two guys from work live in Norman and one of them swears by that place. i've heard it's the best in OK. I've only bought two things in person... ever.. lol Everything else I've bought online because the lack of hobby shops around here...

looks like i'm the only Oklahoman in the city lol, you got some nice trucks and a nice space to work on them at man!

I'm up there at least once or twice a month for various reasons, have you been to the taylor park r/c track recently in yukon? I've been there once before when they were just getting it started, just wondering how the track has progressed.

yeah i've been there a few times, they have progressed quite a bit, i'm just not a fan of waiting a hour to drive 5 mins the wait another hour lol

Welcome to the toy box and nice collection Derek. I'm looking forward to picking your brain. ;)

At least you get a room in the house, I've been banished to the garage with the "stinky" cars. :lol:

I spent the day learning about .battery cars by watching squirrel and I believe a conversion is in my near future.

lol thanks! I def feel lucky to have my own room with heat, A/C, TV, and nintendo 64 haha

When I was still living at may parents and was sent to the garage lol had to take a small space heater out there in the winter.

I'll have to get some current pics, I've sold one and bought two new trucks since that pic was taken.