Sign in to follow this  
BigRedOK

Hello From Oklahoma.

Hello all,

I hope everyone is great and finding the time to get some RC'ing in before Fall sets in.

I wanted to do a little intro thread as it will help you help me help you help others etc etc. LOL

I got into RC's in 2004. My Uncle and Grandpa always had them and naturally (I was 14 at that time) was very interested in RC. Well Christmas 2004 my parents got me a Traxxas Rustler (remember the old xl-1 and stinger? I do.). Needless to say from the first time of charging and running down my NiCD 1500mah batteries (haha) I was hooked. I had that Rustler pretty custom and brushless by the next fall. I attached a picture (the only one I could find) of fall 2005. I had the Novak SS5800 Sensored brushless system on it. Anyways it was O.K.

Christmas 2005 I got an S-MAXX 2.5R and enjoyed the heck out of that and my rustler for about a year before slowly finding less and less time and places to run them. (I just got my license and was into cars heavily). Anyways the time came in '06 where I gave all my RC stuff away during a move. I now regret it.

Time warp to present day.

Now I'm in a career (General Motors Auto Mechanic) and graduating from college (GM Automotive Service Excellence College at Oklahoma State University) next August 2013. I've been wanting to get back into the hobby for the last year, or year and a half. I go to college for 8 weeks at a time and am employed at a dealership for the time I'm not at college.I was scouring EBAY and Craiglist almost daily for around 4 months to check out how the market was since it has been so long. I've looked at a lot of forums and places scouting out the scene. haha I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a used Stampede about a month ago on E-bay. It was OK. I got it for $140 with 2 RadioShack GP3300 batteries, brand new tires (too soft), duratrax sprint ESC (it is a joke), some marine motor which i burnt up, all metal tranny gears, aluminum shocks, and a Futaba 3PM-FS.

Well now it has a Traxxas VXL 3500 waterproof Velinion system in it with ESC fan, some 2S 5000mah 10C lipos, and I have metal drive shafts on the way for it (broke the stockers which is expected).

Looking forward, I'm dead-set on getting the HPI Baja 5B. I can afford it now and have the place to run it on my property and many places really close. I just want to wait. I want a nitro also. So I'm holding off a year on the 5B. I want to keep that motivation to finish school. That will be my graduation present to myself from myself! :D

In the mean time, I am wanting to keep my stampede pretty much how it sits and get back into nitro. I'll be making a thread about this in the buggy section if you're willing to help me out.

Anyways, I've been looking for a forum to plug into as i was very active in the Traxxas Forum back in the day. I've been lurking on this one for some time and found this through Squirrel's Youtube videos.

Here is my Youtube Channel (nothing big). I plan on doing a bit more with it. Just a little stuff here and there. http://www.youtube.com/user/BigRedOK

Looking forward to "hanging out" with all of you!

-Trey

post-64092-0-48477700-1349648060_thumb.j

post-64092-0-54830700-1349648567_thumb.j

Welcome to the forum, hope you love it..

Welcome.

Nice Stampede, I've got a few of those myself.

Welcome.<br />Nice Stampede, I've got a few of those myself.

Thanks!

How do you keep yours on the ground? Mine pretty much just starts to levitate if I try to do a "speed run" on the street. I think its mainly because of the tires that came on it. They're waaaaay too soft and balloon pretty badly. But at full throttle i can see daylight under all four tires at times... weird.. I need to put a wing on it and see how far it will fly. :P

Half of the fun is getting the Stampede airborne. :D

photo.jpg

There's another one of it when i got it. The guy I got it from did a pretty good job with that body. I believe its the Proline 50's chevy body. It doesnt look this good anymore though... :( LOL Try and ignore the messy desk. lol

im from oklahoma to! great to see another Oklahoman here. welcome

Cool cool! Are there any good hobby shops in OKC? I've heard good and bad things. I live in Medicine Park, but work in Chickasha so its not that much farther to the city for a trip now and agan

i like hobby town in norman and comp rc in sw okc but dont ever go to ok hobbies and radio control, they are rude and will sell you the wrong parts, sometimes not even order parts.

i like hobby town in norman and comp rc in sw okc but dont ever go to ok hobbies and radio control, they are rude and will sell you the wrong parts, sometimes not even order parts.

I've heard a lot of good things about norman. My buddy at work lives in norman. He's there a few times a week and they even got him some 1/5 scale parts special ordered. Well cool man, Its a bit of a drive for you but I'm going to start going to the track in rush springs. My buddy from work and myself are gonna start meeting there every other weekend or so after I get this buggy bought and broke in. I've heard a lot of good things. check it out if you're in the area. http://www.racewayrc.com/index.html

Welcome here. :)

That's awesome you are getting into nitro. I love nitro, it's a whole different sense of satisfaction to run nitro over electric. They both have their place, but I find nitro much more interesting due to the fact that it's a lot more involved. Ask away! :)

Ill be in Disney Oklahoma the 13th all day for crawlapalooza. If yo enjoy crawling you should come watch 20 or more guys run their different rigs!!

Welcome here. :)

That's awesome you are getting into nitro. I love nitro, it's a whole different sense of satisfaction to run nitro over electric. They both have their place, but I find nitro much more interesting due to the fact that it's a lot more involved. Ask away! :)

Yea I loved nitro for the veeerrry short time that I had it. I love engines. big and small. I've had everything from 2.0L turbo subaru's to big block chevrolet. I've tinkered with lawn mowers that have set for 10 years and then was driving it around the yard within the hour. i've had a nack for engines. I love to make them purr. lol As a matter of fact, I pulled a 5.3L chevy out of a suburban at work today to rebuild. But nitro is fun. I think i'm going to go to OKC to pick up a HPI kit if they have it saturday. My stampede is letting me down...

Ill be in Disney Oklahoma the 13th all day for crawlapalooza. If yo enjoy crawling you should come watch 20 or more guys run their different rigs!!

That's in the exact opposite corner of the state from me. LOL probably 6 hours of driving? LOL I'll be in that area (Okmulgee) in January and Feb for school

i wanna see the kit when you get it lol

If I end up deciding to go to OKC I'll post it on here, so you can go up there if you want.

Guest thomasrosicky

i am new here today , and i am a boy who like RC cars so much , but in fact i dont know deeply about the RC cars i hope i can learn more here .

Guest thomasrosicky
post-64344-0-37774300-1350458806_thumb.jpgthat is my favorite RC car name :4-Channel R/C Off-Road Vehicle Model Toy - Grey Camouflage and it is cost me about $50 .