Sign in to follow this  
mosinRCe

Back in the hobby

Bought an Team Associated RC10GT RTR nitro back in 2003 or 2004. It was my first true RC and come to find out, I had zero engine skills. I had a friend do the breaking in for me and show me some things about how to adjust the mixture. I was good enough to not burn out the engine. I broke a lot of parts during bashing but fixing it was pretty fun too. I was serious about it for two years when I had 3-4 friends to bash with then I moved and I just lost interest. When I got it out of storage a couple years ago, I again realized that I had zero skills and simply didn't have the interest to learn it all again. I was also shocked by the increase price of fuel. So, I sold it and didn't look back.

A year ago, I looked at electric trucks and was scared off by the cost of lipo batteries/charger and run times.

So, this past week, I looked again and I liked what I seen. The E-Revo VXL 1/16 seemed to be what I was looking for. Small enough to mess around in a house but big enough to bash with respect. The price is a tad much if you ask me but within budget. With dual batteries in parallel, I can finally get the run times I want. Honestly, I'm fine with paying a bit much for batteries if they can offer me 45 minutes of run time then I think it's worth it.

I think all of it as a investment. The setup costs are high but then you only have to spend what you want. Get another pair of batteries in a month and double the run time. I think 30-45 mins of bashing at a time is a good starting point.

So, I been checking out the forum and I like what I see so I plan on sticking around. I'll be using this time to learn and gather a list of parts that I should have. I expect to actually get the E-Revo by the end of the month if not sooner.

Well potentially welcome back to the hobby! Once you're in you never get out, even if you take breaks lol. Everyone starts off not knowing anything about the hobby. Nitro is hard for beginners. I can almost guarantee you will end up getting a larger truck, or something faster/better lol. The MERV's are alright. been hearing alot of bad things about durability. But if you check out some of squirrels video's then you can get that all sorted out!

Your going to love the MERV!!!! We have 3 of that platform here and we love them....Really excieted about the new Rally version as we have an indoor carpet track close by :)

WIth Nimh bats, you won't have many issues

Well potentially welcome back to the hobby! Once you're in you never get out, even if you take breaks lol. Everyone starts off not knowing anything about the hobby. Nitro is hard for beginners. I can almost guarantee you will end up getting a larger truck, or something faster/better lol. The MERV's are alright. been hearing alot of bad things about durability. But if you check out some of squirrels video's then you can get that all sorted out!

Yeah, I've always wanted a monster truck nitro but the price always held me back. I think I'd only get back into nitro if I had some people help me learn engine stuff.

I've done a lot of research on the MERV and havnt see any bad issues with durability. I know some stock parts will need to be changed out over time but thats part of the fun and the new parts aren't expensive at all. Yeah, I been all over Squirrel's videos.

Your going to love the MERV!!!! We have 3 of that platform here and we love them....Really excieted about the new Rally version as we have an indoor carpet track close by :)

WIth Nimh bats, you won't have many issues

I plan on getting another nimh battery like the stock one so I can run those in parallel too but I'm getting a pair of high quality lipo ones for my main bashing. The one thing I really like about lipo batteries that there is such a huge range of choices and prices.

I tell ya, I already have plans to build a small ramp for inside use. My house has a nice open floor plan.

And I'm happy to announce that I've nailed down my order date, Nov 15th. :D

Yeah, I've always wanted a monster truck nitro but the price always held me back. I think I'd only get back into nitro if I had some people help me learn engine stuff.

I've done a lot of research on the MERV and havnt see any bad issues with durability. I know some stock parts will need to be changed out over time but thats part of the fun and the new parts aren't expensive at all. Yeah, I been all over Squirrel's videos.

I plan on getting another nimh battery like the stock one so I can run those in parallel too but I'm getting a pair of high quality lipo ones for my main bashing. The one thing I really like about lipo batteries that there is such a huge range of choices and prices.

Well if you do get into nitro, you'll find more than enough help around here;)

As for the merv's durability, i have only heard its bad from 3 of my close friends. But they probably abused them.

Well if you do get into nitro, you'll find more than enough help around here;)

As for the merv's durability, i have only heard its bad from 3 of my close friends. But they probably abused them.

Am I right in thinking that the larger the nitro engine, the easier it is to maintain? Like, its easier to adjust the needles and they just run overall better?

Am I right in thinking that the larger the nitro engine, the easier it is to maintain? Like, its easier to adjust the needles and they just run overall better?

hmm. i would say so. I always find smaller engines harder to tune.

I didn't see a proper place to ask this so....

When I look at the store for MERV items, I seemed to see a lot of stuff is out of stock. How fast are they to add stock and keep it in stock? Is it where they can only add a few at a time and its sold out in seconds? I see a lot of stuff I'd like to get in the near future but man, either they don't order enough themselves or they popular. :D

i love my merv, so much, its so easy to tear apart to clean,maintain etc, i can now tear it all down within abot half hour, no joke, and have it put back in about 45 mins :D great little thing, is very fast too, can handle some bashing, but not extreme bashing, if your looking for something that u can throw ANYTHING at and i mean anything, look at bigger scales coz the merv just aint gonna cut it, speed,a few terrains,bashing,jumps etc the merv can handle, but i can guarentee u will want something bigger down the line, for the times u want to go to a place u know u will need high ground clearance and big wheels, for which i advise the savage ;) if u do decide to get the merv, and have any issues, the mini revo and slash part of this forum is TOP NOTCH, no joke its great, any issues they will help u with straight away, and if u need any help u can always pm me, we are all here to help u dude. :D

welcome back to the hobby(hopefully) :D

brad

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

I really don't have a 'extreme' area to bash in. I'll only be using it in the house, in front of the house, and parks. I plan on building a small ramp just so it can do some jumps but nothing like massive air, more like distance.

The larger trucks would be nice but they cost so much and it would really impact my ability to travel with them. And as you said, they are best when you have some really awesome areas to bash in.