r00st3r

The Official Introductions Thread

OlGrumpy    0

Welcome to the group there Terry! Yes, take a pic or two and let us see that ride. Hope you enjoy and don't hesitate to ask questions. There is a great group of guys here.

JayzRC    11

Welcome here Terry. Make yourself at home!

H, I'm Alexander

Hey guys just thought I'd sign up here for a few reasons. 1). I'm impressed with the parts thetoyz has to offer. 2). I just bought myself 1/16 MERV, 1/16 summit. 3). This seems like a good place to hang out and scoop up some valuable info, or maybe borrow an idea or two?

I also have nitros but I'm kinda on this electric kick right now since its hard to get nitro where I live.

My electric kick as I put it consist of 1/16 MERV<s(tarting to mod), 1/16 summit<(Bone stock), and a1/10 e-revo<(bone stock)

cmnyj28    17

Hey Alexander

Welcome to the Toyz, please look around, make yourself at home.

Please feel free to jump into discussions and or start new ones, we are all here to help one another in this amazing hobby.

Bill

OlGrumpy    0

Welcome to the Toyz Alexander! Make yourself at home!

JayzRC    11

Welcome Alexander, hope we can help out with your questions! Lots of good people and information here ;)

cmnyj28    17

just joined here, looking for some info

Welcome to the Toyz Bud, look around and post u your questions and chime in anywhere you like.

OlGrumpy    0

Welcome to the Toyz skysthelimit, Glad you joined us, enjoy!

spyda337    0

Hi i'm a new member :) and happy to be here.

i only have one rc at the moment - Hyper 10SC Nitro.

I do have a quick question, how come i can't start a new topic in any part of the forum?

OlGrumpy    0

Welcome to The Toyz Spyda. Make yourself to home and show us that ride. You should be able to start a topic now as you have a couple posts.

texguapo    0

hello all...just got started in the RC world about 3 months ago with a nitro Slash and a buddy told me about this site...

cmnyj28    17

hello all...just got started in the RC world about 3 months ago with a nitro Slash and a buddy told me about this site...

Welcome to the Toyz Bud, glad you've stopped by, Take a look around and feel free to post up any questions you have.

JayzRC    11

That's great! Welcome to theToyz! We are glad to try and answer any questions you might have. Have a look around and make yourself at home :) Throw up a couple of pics of your rig to. We all like pictures!

mrluckies    0

As this thread has over 62 pages, I haven't read the whole thing, so hopefully I've got this right...

As my first post, I wanted to say hello from Germany! I'll put another post in the new member section with more info

Air Head    0

Being new to RC Cars & Trucks It is good to find such a wealth of information.

I have been into Aircraft for fifty years and getting to old to keep up with the speed

my reaction time is to slow. I bought a Axial Wreath and with help fro my LHS am

setting it up for rock crawling something a slower.

JayzRC    11

Welcome here guys, and thanks for joining us. Make your self at home and post up what ever questions you have or share any info you would like. See you on the boards.

rlanza1054    0

Hi all,

First, let me I introduce myself.

My name is Robert (59 years old), and my dog's name is Dylan (there is a reason for mentioning the dog).

I live Astoria Queens NYC.

This whole RC thing got started when one day when this guy came into the park where I walk my dog.

Turned out that Dylan got excited and started to run after the RC and just would not stop. I thought, man this would be good exercise for the dog.

I started talking to the guy and asked him a ton of questions about how to purchase an RC. He gave me some suggestions as to what to purchase and where (RCPLANET).

At first, I put some restrictions and requirements on what I would purchase as my first.

I wanted to get something strong and that would hold up in the park over grass and dirt.

My purchasing limit started at $300 and then when I realized I would have to add in the batteries, I pushed the spending limit to $500.

I was pretty much ready to make a purchase when I saw a YouTube video on the HPI Savage Flux HP (and that it was the larger 1/8 scale). The video showed this vehicle doing flips and back flips and I went nuts watching the video.

I was pretty much sold at that point. Everyone was telling me to get Traxxas and I was about to but when I saw that this thing was pretty much rock solid and the chassis was primarily made of metal as opposed to plastic, I was sold on this unit.

Well, my spending limit went out the window.

I have my order placed and I'm at about $999. I'm actually over because I just added some extras after I placed my original order. And I still have a few more items I would like to get. One being this item from a company called T-Bone. Its supposed to provide some additional support in the front and rear.

I'm also making a list from the Guide that everyone here has put together in the Welcome post.

I think the shocks need to be upgraded and the gear pinion?

They don't seem to be too expensive.

I did purchase two kinds of battery packs with the original order as well as a better charger.

I got two 7.2 Lipos and two 11.1 Lipos. Hopefully, those are good enough.

From what I've read so far, I probably should not use the 11.1 Lipos at first until I get used to running an RC or it might take off into outer space by mistake.

It seems, everyone here is recommending a secure fireproof box to store the batteries, especially since I live in an apartment. And to make sure the dog doesn't chew on them.

One or two people said I should probably not purchase this model RC as my first because its too much of a professional type and not for someone with no experience.

But I am an adult and I do know how to read and take advise.

In the meantime, I'm trying to do as much reading and watching all the video tutorials that I can find.

So I will end this post by thanking everyone for their support/opinions and advise.

UPDATE: I wrote this back in September and since then I have received my Savage Flux HP.

Fell in love with and now own about $500 in spare parts and upgrades. I still need to get better batteries.

But I broke the bank and in a bit of a financial trouble, so some things have to be put on the burner.

Also, after about 10 days of running it without issue, I decided to put the 3S batteries in and see how the Savage ran on the larger batteries.

Well it ran fine for 5 minutes then a puff of smoke which followed with a full on fire ball!

The ESC blew!

So back it went, but just the ESC and Motor. They were replaced without issue, a couple of days to re-install and down grade the gearing to 17mm pinion and 45t spur gear. Adding additional LED lighting.

I took it out for a spin again and I'm back in business having Dylan get his exercise.

Check out my YouTube video:

Thank you.

Rob

OlGrumpy    0

Welcome to the Toyz Rob! You made a great choice on an RC~ looks like the dog has friends to help him get that thing. :)

cmnyj28    17

Welcome Rob, The Flux is a BEAST and my favorite RC by far. 3S is INSANE. I only run 2S, If I want speed then 3S.

I love the Shocks on the Flux to me they do a Great Job.

cmnyj28    17

Cool Vid BTW

JayzRC    11

They make me tired just watching them! Please feel free to start a thread in the savage section and tell us about your upgrades and why you chose them, and if you like the changes they made. It's a great way to keep track of the progress you have made with it and field questions/ share experiences. I have just gotten my first flux as well and would like to hear more! Thanks for posting the vid Rob.